Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hurrican Katrina

Let me start by saying that this Hurricane hit the Gulf Coast and no person can be blamed for that. Let me also say that this is a tragedy and I encourage you all to donate to the Red Cross or the link on the right side bar to help save more lives now.

The real tragedy is the fact that it didn't have to be this bad. Andrew Dobbs does the math at Burnt Orange Report, and counts out the amount of time it took for the Bush Administration to get Congress back to put together and vote on an emergency spending package.

The Bush Administration cut the federal funding for the dams and levies by 44% to fund the Iraq war, and the national guard and army reserve is stretched beyond capacity because of the military engagement in Iraq.

There were statements questioning the rebuilding of New Orleans by Hastert before security support was even in place to stop the anarchy in New Orleans. These questions happen before FEMA was completely in place because the Bush administration did not call it a federal emergency until he left his month long vacation and "flew by the disaster".

The Mayor of New Orleans is mad about what is going on. The people of Louisiana are in a very dangerous situation, and I am outraged that the Bush Administrations only answer to all of these critiques is that he released emergency crude oil stockpiles even though we don't need crude, we need refined oil.

I am mad, but I am doing something about it. I have donated my money to the Red Cross. I am going to buy some diapers and ready to eat meals for the refugees in San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. I encourage you all to be the change you want to see in the world. Be mad. Be outraged. But be sure, you do something positive about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home