Friday, May 20, 2005

More on "Takings" Bill- HB 2833

The buzz around the dome is that HB 2833 will be up for a vote as early as Monday. B and B has a stellar piece showing the new moves by Rep Robby Cook to make some movement on his bill.

This is a debate that is heating up and much to my surprise. In dueling op-eds Cook argues on behalf of the Texas Landowners Conservancy (TLC) and Gene Lowenthal argues on behalf of the environment.

HB 2833 is a bad bill regardless of what Rep Cook says. His argument that environmental regulations are not wanted by anyone but "extremists" is just silly. In fact in San Antonio, citizens have vote 3 times now to raise taxes to protect the environment and their aquifer. Protecting developers and those who wish to start a catfish farm is not a top priority for this city or is it good legislation.

Gene Lowenthal makes better arguments than I could ever make. I would try and put down the best arguments, but they are all well thought out and well made. The best thing I can say is read B and B and Lowethal's commentary in the Express-News, and then call your state Senator and tell them to protect the aquifer and vote NO on 2833.

The most shocking part to me is that I assumed with the big victories in Helotes, Boerne, and San Antonio to protect the aquifer that they would let this bill die. I figured that with the session having less than 10 days left they would focus on education since there will not be a special session at this point. Oh how this session has made me look so wrong so often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home