Thursday, January 26, 2006

Part 1: A Profile of Kathi Thomas for SD 25

Today we have the background on Kathi Thomas- who shes and where she comes from. Tomorrow will be what she stands for and why. Enjoy!
From Kathi:

I love Texas, but I don’t love what our state has been doing in terms of education and health care under this Republican administration.


We MUST invest in education and in health care today. If we don’t, the future will be bleak--not only for the children whom we are betraying today, but also for today’s adults, who will depend on these children to be our future doctors, nurses, caregivers, fire fighters, police officers, and bankers, and to provide every other service we will need in the future.


If Texas has a great educational system, people will want to move here and businesses will want to locate here. An educated workforce is easier to employ; an educated populace contributes to the economy, instead of needing help from government.


We must begin by electing people with passion and the integrity to get the job done. I come from a long line of fighters.


In December of 1836, at age 77, my grandfather five generations ago, Stephen Williams, rode from Jasper, Texas to San Antonio to fight in the Siege of Bexar, where the Texicans took the Alamo from the Mexican army. He fought because he believed it was the right thing to do. During the Texas Centennial, my grandfather’s body was moved from a Jasper cemetery and buried on Republic Hill. Former Lt. Governor Bob Bullock is buried next to him. Grandfather Williams fought in the American Revolution when he was 17 and the Texas War for Independence when he was 77—he’s one of only two men buried at the State Cemetery to have fought in both wars. Our family still owns some land, which was granted in a Mexican land grant to his daughter, my grandmother four generations back.


My grandmother, five generations back on my father’s side, Nanye’hi (called “Nancy Ward”) was the last “beloved woman” of the Cherokee. She had the power to decide whether prisoners died or lived, and she was known as one who chose life for the prisoners. Her friendships with the European settlers led to a DAR Chapter being named after her in Tennessee.


I am not a professional politician, I’ve never held public office, but I’m passionate about the needs of our children and the needs of all Texas peoples. I will work with others, and will fight for our children and others who are left powerless by this current leadership.


We are doing a great disservice to our children by not fulfilling the promise of free education. Our state Constitution says: “A general diffusion of knowledge being essential to the preservation of the liberties and rights of the people, it shall be the duty of the Legislature of the State to establish and make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools.”


I strongly believe that all people in our state need to be educated, so they can help to preserve our liberties and our rights, and so they will have a better life.


I’m running for Senate District 25 because I believe that we MUST do better, for today and for our future. I am asking for your support, for your help in my campaign, and for your vote. Please help me to make Texas once again a state of which we can all be proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home